April 19-25, 2020 is National Volunteer Appreciation Week. Regretfully, volunteer recognition gatherings have been curtailed as PHS communities are taking steps to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. We want to affirm that this does not diminish our deep appreciation for our volunteers.
Winston Churchill famously said, “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” At Presbyterian Homes and Services (PHS), our vital corps of volunteers understands this better than most. In 2019, we were blessed by the service of more than 3,100 volunteers who offered an extraordinary total of 182,766 hours.
One specific way that volunteers have gone above and beyond over the last couple weeks is by sewing masks and gowns for PHS employees. Nearly 5,000 masks have been sewn and collected, and more than 600 gowns are in the process. Staff wear these masks every day. They are loving the patterns, feeling lifted by the generosity of others and grateful that others care for their health and safety.
We are tremendously grateful for the love we feel by the support we are receiving from volunteers. Thank you!
Because the need for supplies continues to grow, here are updates on how you can help.
Masks and Gowns
• We are still accepting donations at all local PHS Communities. Please call the front desk for more drop-off details.
• You can also drop donations off at the front desk of our home office, so that goods can be routed to the communities with the greatest need
2845 Hamline Ave N
Roseville, MN 55113
• We still have a limited amount of elastic for masks or gown sewing kits at our home office. Please contact email@example.com
• The best fabric to use for the masks is two layers of quilting weight cotton (600 thread count or better).
• While we will continue to accept all patterns of masks, these two are preferred:
* If you have Facebook, here is a link to make bias tape for the tie masks
Wearing masks long tern can hurt our ears, so here are some ways you can help us:
• 3D Printed
• Crocheted Option 1
• Crocheted Option 2