COVID-19 Updates and Visitor Information
Last updated 10/19/2020
The well-being of all who live and work in PHS communities is our top priority. Therefore, Presbyterian Homes & Services is…
Ready - to serve with creativity, innovation and welcome
We remain ready to support residents and families during the pandemic. As we work with state and federal agencies and rely on data to shape our plans, we are earnestly seeking ways to enrich the lives of residents every day.
Residents in our independent living settings are safely welcoming visitors who complete a screening process and are asked to wear masks while in the building or within 6 feet of others. We are also ready to welcome visitors more broadly in our care settings! The department of health has issued guidance and we have developed criteria to safely re-open our long-term care and assisted living settings for casual social visits indoors as we continue to protect the health of our residents and staff. Federal and state guidance is comprehensive and contains numerous factors which must be met and maintained in order for broader visitation to take place. These requirements allow for indoor visits if there have been no active cases of COVID-19 at the community within the past 14 days and if the county positivity rate is less than 10%.
The requirements not only apply to the ability to resume visitation but also identify triggers for when we may need to restrict visitation if there is a positive case of COVID-19 among residents and staff or if our broader community falls into a higher risk category. See the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services update
for more information on visitation criteria.
Having built a solid foundation on protocols and testing, we are providing clear pathways for communities that haven’t yet reached the required conditions to open to casual visits. All of our communities continue to welcome essential and compassionate visitors and offer outdoor visits, window visits and virtual visits.
Family and friends can make arrangements for social visits to communities that are ready to receive visitors during visiting hours.
Please call ahead to your loved one’s community to find out what arrangements are available and if and when it is welcoming visitors.
- Visits may be held in resident apartments and/or dedicated visitation spaces
- Designated visitation spaces may also be available to be scheduled for visits. The visitation rooms are set to provide comfort and privacy while maintaining social distancing. Surfaces will be regularly cleaned and disinfected and we have implemented bipolar ionization technology in our dedicated visitation spaces to help keep the air clean. Learn more about this new technology and Our Safer Approach.
We encourage you to visit and require that all visitors abide by the following:
- Visitors will be screened at the point of entry. The screening includes a series of health questions.
- Visitors must wear a mask or facial covering at all times while in the building, wash/sanitize their hands and maintain 6 feet distance from the resident and others.
- Visitors are limited to a resident’s room or the designated visitation room and must limit their movement around the community by going directly to the visit location.
- The number of visitors in the apartment or visitation room at one time will be limited based on the size of the room to ensure physical distancing.
- Visitors under age 12 are welcomed under the supervision by the adults who bring them to ensure they are able to adhere to core principles like physical distancing and mask wearing.
- Due to the risk of exposure, holding hands, hugging, kissing, or other physical contact is not allowed during visits.
We are ready to welcome new residents in all living options and settings with robust move-in procedures to ensure the health and safety of the community. The community housing counselor will work with new residents to develop their move-in plans for specific living options.
Community Tours for Prospective Residents
We are ready for you to tour a PHS community, whether your interest is independent living, assisted living, memory care or the care center. Each community's Housing Counselor is eager to discuss your goals and answer any questions over the phone or through video appointments. In person tours may be scheduled and will be subject to the visitor requirements above. We also encourage you to view the community photo galleries on this website. Every community features a gallery on its home page that displays an extensive view of the apartments and community spaces. Go to Find a Community
to select the community of your interest. We also encourage you to follow our Facebook pages to gain a sense of the LIFE happening every day at PHS communities.
Testing and Prevention
We continue regular testing of staff in all care centers in order to identify any asymptomatic carriers. Testing is also conducted in our care settings whenever there are new exposures to or symptoms of the coronavirus and broad testing is conducted whenever there is a confirmed COVID-19 infection.
As we all anticipate a vaccine being widely available, we will continue to adhere to the core principles of COVID-19 infection prevention including screening, hand hygiene, wearing masks and PPE, regular surface disinfection, social distancing and adaptations of community activities and services to safely engage residents.
Responsive - to a changing and challenging reality
We are learning more about how COVID-19 affects people every day and adapt quickly to each new understanding. We take the lessons learned to create and foster a safe haven where older adults always feel at home.
Our Safer Approach
Our decisive response to combatting COVID-19 has mitigated the spread of infection, kept outbreaks contained and helped people recover. With changes coming rapidly, we hope you find some comfort in knowing that we will continue to do our very best to combat the spread of COVID-19 and support the residents and staff at our communities. PHS is committed to maintaining transparency and consistent communication by letter and/or email so you won’t ever wonder if the community where you or your loved abides or works has been affected by the virus. Read more about Our Safer COVID-19 Approach
Resilient - with over 65 years of experience
PHS stands on a legacy of faith-based experience upholding our mission to honor God by enriching the lives and touching the hearts of older adults. The ways we do this may have changed somewhat—but be assured—we will not waiver in doing all we can to give older adults the freedom to live well today and in the future.
PHS leadership teams at all levels have been meeting regularly throughout the pandemic to ensure preparedness plans were implemented, communities were supported in every way needed, and teams were kept informed of the ever-changing guidance and directives from state and federal agencies. Our experienced teams have led with confidence and worked diligently to ensure the safety of the residents we serve.
Resilience is built on shared strength as we all work together to navigate through the pandemic.
How You Can Help
If you would like to help at this time:
- Stay healthy and prevent spreading germs by following recommended actions: frequent handwashing, wearing of masks and avoiding large groups.
- Call ahead to a PHS community to confirm if and when you can visit your loved one or friend in their apartment or to schedule a visit in the designated visitation room.
- Sign up to be a pen pal or phone buddy with a PHS resident.
- Check out our Volunteers page to see where you can volunteer your time. There are many no-contact volunteer opportunities that will still keep you engaged with residents.
- Join our team! We have a variety of positions available at many of our locations and training is provided. Call or text 651-764-8850 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as quickly as we can.
- If you have the ability to make a financial gift and feel called to do so at this time, our foundation is here to help. Gifts of all sizes make a difference.
- Be in prayer with us for those who have already been impacted by this disease; for the wellbeing of our residents and staff; for those working diligently to provide means of prevention, treatment and cure; and for calm, wisdom and mutual respect to prevail in our greater communities.
Help at Home Services
For information about Optage Senior Dining Choices, Home Care, and Hospice, please visit the Optage